Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Experimental Post

Today we`re going to do something different.  Why?  Because I`m likely to be bored all damn day.  Besides, Wednesday is "Anything Can Happen Day."  True story.  The Mickey Mouse Club told me so.  What are we doing?  Something along the lines of a stream-of-consciousness blog.  I`m aware that I already subject you to some of my strange thoughts and ramblings, but this is going to be totally live, as-I-think-them kind of thoughts throughout the workday.  Minimal censoring (I`d like to keep this PG-13 at the most, but I tend to curse a lot in my head when I`m frustrated, so it won`t be true stream-of-consciousness).  From 8:30-4:15 I will track as many of the thoughts, feelings, and happenings in my head and around me as I can.  Lucky you!


8:32 - "I Put a Spell on You" is stuck in my head.  The version from Hallowishes at WDW.

8:33 - Huh.  I guess we don`t have a morning meeting during exams.  I`d be worried that I won`t know what`s going on at the school today, except that meetings are in Japanese so I never know what`s going on anyway.

8:35 - Alright, now it`s "I Put a Spell on You" spliced with "Teddy Bear Picnic."  No idea where that one came from.

8:36 - Going to have to explain to my students the rule for consonant + y plurals.  I`m sick of seeing "puppys."

8:39 - I don`t understand how students still manage to make mistakes when they`re copying the example directly from the textbook.

8:41 - Seriously.  "Teddy Bear Picnic."  Where did that even come from?!

8:44 - "I think roses are beautiful.  First, they have wang colors."  I...really don`t know what they`re trying to say here.  Thanks, student, for utterly confusing me.

8:48 - It`s right there in your book, kids.  It`s "believe," not "belive."  Stop copying each other and try copying the textbook instead.

8:51 - "Spraises."  The kid`s talking about roses.  I`ve got nothing.  I have no idea what they`re trying to tell me or how to correct that.  Giant question mark.

8:57 - Dear Kids, If you only do half the homework, you`re only going to get half the marks.  The fact that you handed me your notebook does not automatically count as handing in the homework.  Love, Mel

9:02 - Ew.  Katy Perry.  I have some very strongly worded complaints against the DJ in my head right now.

9:07 - "Teddy Bear Picnic" is back.  Head DJ, you suck.

9:18 - Why did no one in this class do the first part of the homework?

9:18 - I want to watch Lilo & Stitch.

9:27 - Maybe it was how the teacher translated my homework assignment?  Because seriously, NO ONE in this class did Part A of the assignment.

9:28 - I really wish the metal window frames weren`t quite so shiny.

9:29 - Pens are sharp.  Remember that.  Can`t tell if this is red ink or blood.  OW.  Also remember that just because you THINK that you`re touching the clicky end of the pen, doesn`t mean you are.  Always check first by actually looking.

9:31 - Is my subconscious trying to tell me to go for a walk in the woods or something?  Because there are snakes and mukade in the woods around here, so that seems like a really, really bad idea.  And bears.  There are bears.  Who would probably have a lovely picnic of honey and Mel salad on bread if I went out in the woods.

9:40 - I really need to cut down on my pen-clicking.  I`m pretty sure it disturbs my coworkers.  But it helps me think!  Or, at least, it helps me stay awake.  There`s not much thinking going on right now.

9:42 - There`s some crazy conglomeration of teachers happening behind me.  Like, right behind me.  It makes me nervous.  Not that I`m doing anything wrong.  Well, okay, I`m reading fan fiction at work to supplement my marking because I have nothing else to do all day, but 99% of them wouldn`t be able to tell anyway.  I just don`t like having a group of people at my back.  It freaks me out.  I`m a back-to-the-wall kind of person.

9:47 - As much as I love being comfortable, someday I would like a job where I have to dress up every day, complete with fancy coffees and meeting rooms, and maybe an office with a door and a plaque?  Yeah, that would be cool.  I don`t feel particularly career-oriented in jeans an a t-shirt, but I also like to fit in with my surroundings, so dressing up when the other teachers dress casually would feel ridiculous, and make me more uncomfortable than the dress clothes themselves.

9:51 - Headbands are a ridiculous invention, and I don`t know why I elected to wear one.  Either they`re plastic and not formed properly for my head and give me a headache and cut into the skin behind my ears, or they`re the full-band fabric ones that just keep slowly slipping back and have to be readjusted constantly. 

9:57 - I want strawberries.

10:05 - These kids make no sense.  They can spell "whimper," but they can`t spell "cute."

10:14 - I`m walled in by all the notebooks I`ve marked, and I kinda really want to build a fort.

10:15 - I miss being able to actually understand the conversations happening around me.  And workplace gossip.  Which is what I usually got from the conversations around me.  Now I get random words that make no sense outside of the context that I don`t have.

10:22 - I both want and don`t want to go to the Halloween party this weekend.  On one hand, I know I need to get out and do things.  On the other hand, I kind of really don`t like parties.  Or any other gathering of more than about 6-8 people I`m meant to socialize with. 

10:25 - "So Close" from the Enchanted soundtrack.  Go home, Head DJ.  You`re drunk.  And the worst DJ ever.

10:38 - On my way to the washroom I heard the dial-up noise.  Never has a noise been so simultaneously nostalgic and grating.

10:41 - I really need to get some better indoor shoes for school.  Something that`s actually meant to be a slip-on, rather than my Disney sneakers that the laces keep flopping out of, and then I get the aglet in the wrong place and step on it with an unpadded section of foot.

11:02 - Yep.  I`m officially work-brain-dead.  I haven`t had a thought that wasn`t an immediate right/wrong response to the homework I`m marking in 20 minutes.  I have six notebooks left, and it`s not even noon. 

11:11 - I made a wish.  Did you?

11:15 - I sincerely hope I brought The Princess Bride with me.  The movie, not the book.  I know the book didn`t come with me.  But now I really want to watch the movie.  More than Lilo & Stitch.  By the time I get home, I won`t want to watch either one.  I know how this works.

11:25 - New song - He Mele No Lilo.  I don`t even speak Hawai`ian and I don`t know 99.9% of the lyrics to this song.

11:27 - Why is Hawai`i so far away from the rest of the States?  And why is Alaska?  Honestly.  Britain is like, "Nah, we don`t want that bit of land up there in the cold."  So America`s like, "Oh, yes!  We will buy it!  It makes perfect sense to have a piece of land belonging to us that`s separated from us by an entire other country."

11:30 - Now researching the Alaska purchase.  Pretty sure it`s a good thing that Wikipedia is blocked on the school`s network.  I don`t even want to consider the Wikipedia spirals I would get myself into on days like this.

11:32 - Why did Russia own Alaska?  Imperialism is weird.  Your country is your country.  Make nice with the other countries.  Don`t make them your country.  That`s stupid.

11:35 - I`m aware that my country only exists today because of Imperialism. 

11:38 - I`m also aware of what "filthy lucre" actually means, but it sounds like a Shakespearian insult.

11:48 - And I`m done marking.  Hopefully my CCS quiz will make me look busy for the rest of the day.  Time to get my Google on, as slowly as possible!

11:53 - I can hear a bunch of teachers starting to unpack their lunches.  Lunch is normally from 12:45-1:20.  Bets that these teachers are just as bored as I am?  Because I`ve been thinking about lunch for the past hour, and I`m not even really all that hungry.

12:01 - Forgot to put salt in my chicken salad.  And garlic.

12:02 - Russia has a lot of uninhabited land. 

12:09 - My saltines taste oddly like goldfish.

12:09 - What do actual goldfish taste like?

12:14 - Why are liquors referred to as "spirits?"

12:16 - Really wish I had access to Wikipedia without using my phone.  It`s just so much more awkward to research random things on there when it looks like you`re texting at work.  Not that I`m working either way, but if I`m researching random things on the computer, then at least it LOOKS like I`m working.

12:24 - Stupid Christmas fan fiction.  Now I have Christmas songs running through my head.  Mostly "Baby, It`s Cold Outside."  As much as I love that song, it`s October, and 21 degrees Celsius.

12:27 - Looked up the nomenclature of Celsius versus centigrade.  This is what I got:
The temperature scale used by scientists in America has been called centigrade, while in many countries it was called Celsius for its inventor. In 1948 the 9th General Conference on Weights and Measures, representing 33 nations that subscribed to the Treaty of the Meter, adopted the name Celsius. This name, however, did not come into general use by scientists in America, partly because they were unaware of the official action of the conference and partly because some preferred the old name. At the 11th General Conference in 1960 the scale was defined in a way that makes the adjective centigrade inexact. The name Celsius is correct and its use by American scientists would help make the nomenclature of temperature uniform in all countries.
Oh, `Murica.

12:33 - I love being right.

12:38 - I`d love to start a game of "floor is lava" in here.  Good times.

12:40 - Also really want to have a nap.  Naps are good.  Or just be lazy in my living room, on the floor, in the sun.

12:53 - Werewolf puns are way more amusing than they should be.

1:01 - It smells like nachos in here.  I want nachos.  Nachos from The Ab.  The Ab had the best nachos.

1:05 - Life was easier in university.  Adulting sucks.  Can we go back to the time wherein I was able to vote and drink, but didn`t have to be so responsible?

1:07 - I hate to be a hipster, but I listened to Dragonforce before Guitar Hero made them cool.

1:11 - I shouldn`t read funny things at work.  Hard to keep the snickering to myself.  Again: more obviously not working.

1:12 - Things I shouldn`t be allowed to know: Cake Wrecks is not blocked my my school`s network.

1:13 - Why is Wikipedia blocked, but not my favourite blog, devoted to horribly decorated cakes?

1:23 - Japanese teacher across from me just burst into laughter, presumably in relation to something she was marking.  So I guess it`s not totally crazy if I start to laugh?  I just have no one to explain to like she does about why I`m laughing.  Not sure if that makes it better or worse.

1:26 - Heh.  One of the teachers just did that thing where you go to pick up your stuff on the printer and realize that you forgot to actually hit the Print button.

1:40 - Japanese teacher just came over to tell me that the hospital called yesterday after I left and said how awesome I was and how much they enjoyed having me.  I`m awesome.

1:49 - Things I don`t really understand: Duty Free Shops.  I just... don`t get it.

1:53 - Am I the only one who frequently reads CITES as "cities" when glancing at the CSCB quiz?

1:54 - Oh man, I`m on the last page of the quiz and it`s not quite two o`clock.  I`m gonna die of boredom.  I can tell.

2:07 - A baby rabbit is called a kit, which is short for kitten.  A male rabbit is called a buck, and a female rabbit is called a doe.  I think rabbits have identity crises.

2:10 - A baby ant is called an `antling`.  Google spirals, man.  They`re as bad as Wikipedia spirals.

2:12 - A baby platypus is called a `puggle`.  Is it legal to own a platypus in Australia?  That must be so confusing in pet-owner conversations.

2:13 - It is illegal to own a platypus in Australia.  But if you get it as a baby, and state for records that you own a `puggle`, and no one ever questions you about it later....

2:15 - Not a male platypus, though.  They have venomous spurs.

2:20 - My spirit animal is a badger.  Kinda vicious and grumpy as hell, but also cute and cuddly.

2:21 - A baby badger is called a cub, the male is a boar, and the female is a sow.  Badgers must also suffer identity crises.

2:22 - Badgers eat elder berries.  Now I have John Cleese`s voice shouting with a bad French accent in my head.  That scene had to be filmed in two parts, one with long shots of the castle, and close-ups of John Cleese, taken from close to the ground on a slightly-built-up set piece because Cleese is afraid of heights.

2:25 - If you give a mouse a cookie, he`ll probably want a glass of milk to go with it.

2:34 - So the characters on Teen Wolf should just become the supernatural X-Men of their universe.  Derek could buy back his family`s land and rebuild the house, but bigger, and they could use it as a boarding school for supernatural teens. 

2:35 - I own way too many pink things for someone who kind of despises that colour.

2:36 - It took me three tries to type `colour.`  Japan uses American spelling, and I think it`s starting to get to me.

2:42 - Head DJ is back to "I Put a Spell on You."

2:48 - I really hope one of my teachers tells me what they discussed (if they discussed anything) for my first year lessons soon.  I just realized that I will, in fact, be back to teaching them on Monday, first period, and I have no lesson.  None.

2:49 - Except I actually do.  I`m just not sure how many parts of the lesson (Lesson 6 is in 4 parts) I need to fit into one day.

2:52 - I still want that nap.

2:53 - And nachos.  I want the nachos too.

3:01 - We get a nice breeze most days in the office, but I really wish it would stop blowing my papers around.

3:09 - Reindeer are better than people.

3:11 - A reindeer is a caribou.  In Europe they`re always called caribou.  In America, they`re called caribou when they`re wild, and reindeer when they`re domesticated.

3:12 - Reindeer milk has more fat than cow milk.

3:12 - I want a milkshake. 

3:13 - I want a chocolate peanut butter milkshake.

3:22 - I think someone stopped the clocks and that it`s actually time for me to go home.

3:33 - Need a good stretch.  Still hate yoga.

3:36 - Looks like we`re expecting rain again.  Sky`s getting kind of grey.

3:43 - Might make nachos tonight.  I have chili in the freezer.  Just have to get chips and cheese.

3:44 - But I do have to run tonight, as well.  What are the chances that I eat an appropriate portion of nachos and then digest them in a timely manner so as to go out for a proper run?

3:50 - Chips and cheese.  Now "Cabin in the Woods" from Evil Dead: The Musical is in my head. 

3:53 - I need to learn about baseball.  It`s such a big thing here, and I`d like to understand it better.

3:57 - Want eggs.  Can`t have eggs.  Sensitivities are stupid.

4:00 - 15 minutes!!!!!

4:05 - Why do I put things in such backwards places?  I leave the papers I want to bring home with me out on my desk, and put the ones I need to stay here in the drawer with my backpack.

4:15 - FREEDOM!!!!!!  Thanks for reading through my rambles.  Hope you had fun in my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment